The purpose of this privacy statement is to let users of dnc.org.nz (the "Site") know when we collect personal information and what we do with it. The Domain Name Commission Ltd (DNCL) does not use, share or transfer personal information except as set out in this privacy statement.
Collection and use
The Site can be viewed without the need to disclose any personal information to us.
What we do with your personal information
We will only use and share any personal information provided in the context of a complaint or enquiry for the specific purposes of:
- Processing the complaint or enquiry
- Review and improvement of our services (including conducting satisfaction surveys)
- Conducting internal statistical analysis and meeting our reporting requirements
- Complying with any legal obligation (eg Court Order).
Complainants will also be identified by their full name in the (publicly available) decisions of the Domain Name Commission.
Any other personal information we collect will only be used and shared:
- Where otherwise permitted or required by law
We may collect statistical non-identifiable information about your visit to help us analyse use of, and to improve or protect the integrity of the Site.
This information includes:
- Users' IP addresses
- Users' search terms
- Pages accessed on the Site
- Links that are clicked on
- Date and time of Site visits
- Users' operating systems
- Browsers used when accessing the Site
The information collected is aggregated and is not personally identifiable. IP addresses are masked so that they cannot be used to identify individuals. Our web analytics will also respect any “do no track” setting you might have set on your browser.
Lodge Your Preference
This site links to another site that generates cookies for the 'Lodge Your Preference' pages to manage the user session for submitting a preference for a conflicted domain name. Without using these cookies, this Site feature would not work.
Further information is also collected based on the use of this section for audit purposes. This information includes:
- Domain name
- Preference or option selected
- Status change (if any)
- Registrant Email address
- Any UDAI provided is not recorded or saved on this Site for any reason.
Users are able to subscribe to an e-mail newsletter. If this feature is used then the email address of the subscriber will be saved on the Site. This email address is only used by DNCL as it relates to .nz information.
Check Your UDAI
Users are able to confirm if a UDAI is valid for a .nz domain name. The UDAI is not saved by the Site linked to this site and is only used to determine if the UDAI is valid or not.
Storage and Security
We protect our data with all reasonable technical and process controls.
We use some third party providers to host electronic data including as follows:
- We store most of the personal information we collect and generate electronically on local servers located in New Zealand and on Amazon Web Services cloud servers (located in Australia). This means that personal information we hold may be transferred to or accessed from countries other than New Zealand.
- Our website is hosted on Amazon Web Services (Australia).
We take steps to ensure that any providers we use can protect the personal information they process for us. You may contact us at the details below for further information regarding any third party supplier.
Your rights and how to contact us
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. You are welcome to contact us to access or update your personal information or raise any other concern about the Domain Name Commission.